Holiday fun for the whole family
Ice skate with the family at the Civic Square Outdoor Rink from July 1-17.
Whether it’s catching an AFL game at Manuka Oval or getting in tune with nature at Tidbinbilla, there’s a range of things to do in Canberra during the school holidays (from the 2nd to the July 17).
The list of activities below will help keep the whole family entertained.
Go ice skating at Winter in the City
Enjoy the return of the Canberra Winter Festival to Civic Square from July 1-17.
Winter in the City features food, hot drinks, live entertainment, ice sculptures and an outdoor skating rink. See the full program.
Cheer on the mighty GWS Giants at Manuka Oval (July 16)
Don’t miss Saturday afternoon’s epic clash between the GWS Giants and the Brisbane Lions at Manuka Oval.
Visit your local library
Your municipal library is a center of activity throughout the year, but especially during school holidays. Some free events and sessions include:
- Attend special holiday storytimes (ages 3-5) and Giggle & Wiggles (ages 0-2)
– including bilingual sessions in Vietnamese, Spanish or Mandarin.
- Join Larry Brandy as he reads a story from Wiradjuri.
- Learn ways to help develop your child’s language and communication skills. Workshops Look Who’s Talking.
- Engage kids in the world around them with fun and creative sustainable activities from Lil’ Greenies.
- Conspire with others who have UFOs and complete these inspired unfinished items together.
Find more information and to make a reservation.
Treat your dog to A Pooch Affair (July 9)
Enjoy a day with friends, family and fur babies at this boutique indoor canine event at the Budawang Pavilion in the fairgrounds.
The event – which supports RSPCA ACT – includes a fashion walk, live music, dog retail and more. To make a reservation.
School holiday crafts at the Recycling Discovery Hub
Reuse, reshape, reimagine, recreate and reuse during these creative recycling sessions at the Recycling Discovery Hub, Hume.
Join the Recycling Discovery Hub team for two free sessions of creative family sessions using paper, boxes, jars and other containers to create recycled pencil holders.
- Wednesday July 13, 2022 at 1:30 p.m.
- Thursday July 14, 2022 at 10:30 a.m.
Reservations are essential for all adults and accompanying children. To make a reservation.
Discover the Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve
One of the local residents – a Northern Corroboree frog – is waiting for you to visit Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve.
From exploring bush trails to becoming wildlife sleuths, there are a host of activities during school holidays in Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve. Activities include:
- World of Water Bugs Exhibition (July 7-16): Photographer Cristy Froehlich’s latest gallery exhibition features beautiful artwork of tiny local bugs from Tidbinbilla.
- Explore the Sanctuary: Friendly volunteers are on hand to help you discover the natural wonders of Tidbinbilla Nature Reserve Sanctuary (July 2-31).
- Cubby House Rules (July 7): Take part in this nature play activity, which includes cubby building and magic wand making, for kids ages 5-12.
- Poops Give Us Clues: (July 8): Become a wildlife sleuth and learn how to find clues – like tracks, nests or poops – about the native animals that share your property.
- Bush Treasure Discovery Walk (July 12): Explore this bush trail and discover “national treasures” along its route.
Step back in time at the Botanical Gardens;
Explore it MEGAFauna: myths and legends! family adventure course at the Australian National
This is an opportunity to meet the enormous creatures that inspire myths and legends, art and culture. Find out more via the website.
A few more ideas to keep you busy
- Fly a kite at the Canberra National Arboretum before heading to the POD Playground.
- Explore the child-friendly cycle paths of Stromlo Forest Park before grabbing a coffee at the Handlebar cafe.
- Use the Parks Act’Find a parktool to discover a new playground or a natural park to explore.
- Explore a new part of Canberra; on foot or by bike using our list of maps of walks and walks.