Guide: 2022 Greater Cleveland Sports Awards set for Wednesday
The festivities are taking place in a new home for 2022. We’ve got your list of nominees and what you need to know about one of the biggest nights of the year in Cleveland sports.
CLEVELAND – The Greater Cleveland Sports Awards are back and in a new home in 2022. The 22nd annual event is scheduled for Wednesday, March 23 at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. The fundraiser, supporting the Greater Cleveland Sports Commission, celebrates a year of athletic achievement in northeast Ohio, from high school stars to professional athletes.
The festivities are back in person after being virtual in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here’s what you need to know:
Who organizes the prizes? NBC Sports host and correspondent Maria Taylor will host the 2022 Greater Cleveland Sports Awards.
Can I still buy tickets? There is still time to buy tickets for the event. Click here for more details.
What time does the event start? The cocktail hour starts at 5:30 p.m. and the rewards program is scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m.
How can I watch? Click here for live streaming.
What prizes are awarded? Here is the list of awards, nominees and some of the presenters:
High School Male Athlete of the Year, presented by University Hospitals Sports Medicine
- Drew AllarMedina High School, Football
- Tommy BebieRocky River High School, Soccer
- Danny Young Jr.Shaker Heights High School, Basketball
High School Female Athlete of the Year, presented by University Hospitals Sports Medicine
- Catherine RandorfGilmour Academy, Volleyball
- Lanae RileyBishop Hoban, Basketball
- Alayna TessenaHighland High School, Volleyball
Male Collegiate Athlete of the Year, presented by H. Jack’s Plumbing & Heating Co. “The Super Plumber!”
- Dustin CrumKent State University, Football (Midview High School)
- Marreon JacksonArizona State University, Basketball (Garfield Heights High School)
- Alex PhillipJohn Carroll University, Cross Country (St. Vincent – St. Mary High School)
Collegiate Female Athlete of the Year, presented by H. Jack’s Plumbing & Heating Co. “The Super Plumber!”
- Adelaide AquillaOhio State University, Athletics (Magnificat High School)
- Dayna DennerUniversity of Toledo, Softball (Cuyahoga Heights High School)
- Julia WalzBowling Green State University, Volleyball (Brooklyn High School)
Professional Athlete of the Year, presented by Bally Sports Ohio
- Darius GarlandCleveland Cavaliers, Guard
- Myles GarretCleveland Browns, Defensive End
- Jose RamirezCleveland goalies, third baseman
Cleveland Clinic Sports Medicine Courage Award
- Robbie Boyce, St. Ignatius High School, baseball. The award will be presented by Maria Taylor.
Lifetime Achievement Award, presented by Union Home Mortgage
- CC Sabathia, former Cleveland Indians pitcher. The award will be presented by Kenny Lofton.
Best Moment at Cleveland Sports, presented by JACK Entertainment
- Reward to come. It will be hosted by 3News’ Jim Donovan and former Fox 8 sportscaster John Telich.
Sports Development Award, presented by Citizens
More Greater Cleveland Sports Awards coverage: